Monday, September 10, 2012

Caligula

For this weeks assignment, I was given a play to read called "Caligula" by Albert Camus. I was told to read the first act of this play and answer a couple of questions. For the past two classes, we have been discussing the 4 Truths of the "I" which are: I did not make myself, we have limited abilities, we have unlimited desires, and we all want to be happy. When reading this play, these four truths of the human person could relate to the character Caligula.

Camus demonstrates Caligula's heart through his unlimited desires. In the play, Caligula returns to the palace where he tells one of the patricians, Helicon, his desire for the moon. He continuously explains how "this world of ours, the scheme of things as they call it, is quite intolerable. That's why I want the moon, or happiness, or eternal life." Caligula feels that he needs these things in order to "live by the light of truth." This meaning, he wants to live a life of fulfillment and desires the things that are viewed as being impossible.

The Patricians viewed Caligula's "heart" to be crazy. They didn't understand the meaning behind his "heart" and desires that Caligula had come to understand. It was only Helicon who tried to understand his desire for the moon. On the last page of Act 1, Helicon asks, "In what way can I help you?" and Caligula replies "In the way of. . . the impossible." Here we see that Helicon is making an effort to understand this "want" of his and help Caligula achieve the impossible. I also agree with Helicon and would try to figure out what it is that Caligula believes will bring fulfillment to his life. I agree with this because I believe that Caligula has a point when he says, "Men die; and they are not happy." If we do not find happiness and reach for the impossible in our life, we will not be happy and not live by the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment